Perry’s Woolpit was one of the longest established firms in the transport business in Suffolk.
Perry’s ceased operations in 2021
John B. Perry operated as a carrier from Rattlesden by 1925. He acquired his first bus in 1928 with routes to Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds and Stowmarket. The Ipswich route appears not to have continued due to the Transport Act 1930. Other services continued until May 1937 when the Eastern Counties Bus Co. commandeered the buses and the routes and British Road Services took the haulage business.
John B Perry served in the RAF 1939-45and then in Woolpit Perry took up private hire taxi services. Public service operations recommenced in 1975 when Michael and his sister Margaret took over the business. Perry’s supplied transport to SCC, USAF, Hospital Car Services, WHC and various clubs in the local area.
Michael wishes to thank all customers past and present, and the drivers for their support.