In 1016 Ulfketel, Earl of East Anglia, granted the church and manor of Wlfpeta to the Abbey of St Edmunds. The monks received ten marks yearly from this grant, but the King appropriated the revenues for the benefit of one of his officials. A monk named Sampson determined to put matters right and in 1159 travelled to Rome to obtain a charter from Pope Alexander III. Despite being captured and robbed by his enemies in the course of his journey, Sampson managed to preserve the Popes precious letter directing the reversion of Woolpit and its church to the monks, and returned to England after three years. The monks were once again able to enjoy the income, and Sampson was later appointed Abbot.